New bicycle

Go down

Re: New bicycle

Post  _BLIXA_ on Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:03 am

With all that in mind then, folks I will reign in my enthusiam for a new bike. If the 2011 Felt F3 was still available I probably would have purchased it as it was a pretty good deal but reality has been checked and I plan to give the Cannondale a new lease of life.

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond.

Mark

_BLIXA_

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lechef on Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:44 am

Hum !!! Interesting thread some of which i would disagree with. When i first started it was training bike and race bike. I then went to race abroad and it was Race bike/ with training wheels. No such thing as a training bike.
A race bike should be comfortable no matter how far or fast you ride. The only reason i moved to a training bike, only last winter was the constant cleaning after riding on shitty roads. Many new frames are now going for the longer head tube to move away from the acute race frame position to save most of us putting 10 spacers to allow room for the belly!!!!!

I think you would only have to speak to Lawrence and he would tell you the best seller by far would be the Cevelo i think even the new S5 has a higher head tube now.

Drive train wise you won't go far wrong with Shram, personally i didn't like the change with short or long press for up or down that may well be down to shimano use for many years having said that i never liked the shift on 7900 and it's all for sale now role on Ultegra Di2.

I think Shane needs to move to a slower frame so we can all keep up Very Happy Very Happy

lechef

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  _BLIXA_ on Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:58 am

Cheers Shane - essentially what you are suggesting is that it is possible to invest a little money and bring the old Cannondale up to scratch to race on? Mind you that frame is none to comfortable over a hundred sportive miles, but with a little adjustment to the headset I can make it work. It is a shame one has all of these responsibilities and cannot fully invest ALL money and time in bikes and bike riding. Keeping it realistic is right on message really.

Anyway, this is all giving me a lot to ponder on. I have had a sobering afternoon, though that said I have received my first 'commission' to do a bit of PR Copywriting for a cycling events company today - it's peanuts really but as Mr Mitchelson once said to me "any extra is beer and bike money"!

Once more to the breach dear friends.

Mark

_BLIXA_

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Shane P on Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:46 pm

Both of those bikes you list are cracking machines and will easily be able to exceed most people's ability.

Definately go for a long ride on both to make sure you are happy with the ride & feel. Even if you are wanting to do a few races, I would suggest that a slightly more compliant ride will more than suffice. Think about the percentage of your planned miles, if you intend to race 50% or more of your miles then get a race bike, if not then wind it back a bit. I would be happy to race 3/4ths races at Goodwood or Gravesend on my training bike (in fact it was my race bike before the Felt) and that is bucket loads more comfy than the Felt as it is really more of a 'Sportive' bike if such a thing exists. Investment in aero wheels will give bigger gains if you want a jack of all trades which you can race and ride on. In the summer, 70 to 80+% of my miles are spent breathing out of every orifice trying to chase the break (or stay away if I am exceedingly lucky) so only ride the Felt, in the winter, it does not get used.

Good point Rich about the costs, a new Red rear derailleur is £250, something that can easily be shredded in a finishline tustle in a 3rds/4ths race. Otherwise though, they are durable and run sweet for ages.

Dissapointingly true however is that no matter how good the chassis is, the engine is the most important part. Good quality training is generally free whereas 'faster' bikes aren't so think about those diminishing returns. How much do you really need to spend to match what you need. Bling is nice but BC points aren't awarded for that, kudos points feel awesome I guess...!

Shane

Shane P

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  _BLIXA_ on Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:07 am

Thanks all - interesting and practical advice, which is exactly what I was fishing for. Sadly, it is all moot anyway as Lawrence sold the bike this afternoon (possibly why you can't see it via the link, Shane)! The 2012 version of the Felt F3 is available and the price is not much more so I will be discussing this in the shop next time I 'pop' in as I am wont to do from time to time. The spec of the 2012 bike is similar with the SRAM Red grupo and the frame is the same though it doesn't come built up with the more refined Sram S30AL Sprint Wheels. It can be seen here http://www.thetristore.com/view_product.asp?product=4381&brand=47&make=Felt

I have never used SRAM before, so your thoughts on that have been most useful. Rich, I take your point about the on-costs of maintenance and upkeep.

The next bike won't necessarily be used for Sportives as I have every intention of doing a few races this year and hopefully a lot more social riding. Having been in and around the 'scene' (so to speak) for a while now I think it is high time I got myself a decent bike to ponce about on - that old Cannondale CAAD5 has shaken my bones for far too long! Perhaps I am not being entirely objective about that so I am more than willing to be wound in a bit by those that have slightly more experience than me.

The other option is a Cervelo R3 which I have always had a bit of a soft spot for.

Kid in a sweet shop is the only way I can describe my feelings about buying a new bike! There's almost too much choice.

Cheers.

Mark

_BLIXA_

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RichMitch on Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:43 am

Shanes comments on SRAM are all true, I've ridden first genoration Rival for the past 4 years or so, and its great. Although i think the new shimano groups are pretty great. I'm running the new 105 on my 'cross bike and its very good. The SRAM breaks are some of the best around.

Having never ridden a felt i can't comment on the other bits, but it looks smart enough. I would agree with Shane with regards riding position and stiffness, if it's a straight up pro road going race machine it maybe un comfy over longer rides for us mere mortals, as the ride can be harsh due to the unforgiving stiffness of pure race frames.

The best thing to do would be to test it, or a similar bike in the range if you can. Also, with 'Red' its worth pointing out that replacing bits on it isn't cheap. Cassettes and chains are pretty steep. But thats just a thought and you can ignore it if you want... i'm a tight northener after all. Very Happy

RichMitch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Shane P on Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:03 am

I cannot get through to the link you have posted, what are the details of the bike?

I ride a Felt AR3 race bike and whilst a fraction heavier than the next bike along, it is as stiff and fast as you could hope for. It is a true race machine so not suited to sportives though. If the bike you are interested in is different then the compliance will inevitably be different. Build quality is great with good attention to detail. The only issues I have had are bottle mounts coming loose (due to narrow aero shape of frame) and water entering the frame through the seat tube and not really draining out of the BB.

SRAM groupsets - Ace. Great shifting and durability of components. Rival shifts better than lower end Shimano whereas Red shifts like lightening with little lever travel. Brakes are razor sharp with plenty of power and modulation depending on pad material/wheel combo. Only downside to me is the size of the hood 'bulb' - a little small for hand over hood aero style riding but otherwise very comfy. They are working on this in 2012 groupsets I believe.

Shane P

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Greeny on Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:36 pm

Just so you know I'm not ignoring you Mark - it's just I can't really offer an opinion - never ridden a Felt, nor tried any SRAM components. Will they let you take it for a test ride???

Greeny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

New bicycle

Post  _BLIXA_ on Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:20 am

New Year and for me the possibility of purchasing a new machine. If money was no object then this wouldn't be too much of a tricky issue, I'd have fun speaking with the chaps at Enigma to make me a nice bespoke machine, however my relatively modest income and paucity of ambition lead me to being a little more circumspect (mind you what I am looking at is still quite a bit of money).

I have been pondering for some time the choices but since the Tri Store sent a flyer out with their New Year deals I have been seriously considering this (provided I fit on the 54 on offer)...

http://www.thetristore.com/view_product.asp?product=3618&brand=47&make=Felt

I was hoping that you all would offer an opinion. Thoughts?

Mark

_BLIXA_

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down