The Bayeux CT Tuesday evening chaingang

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Re: The Bayeux CT Tuesday evening chaingang

Post  iggy on Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:34 am

I'm not out tonight - still up North

The gas works might still be in Wivelsfield, so you might have to use 100 acre lane if you're out.

iggy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iggy on Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:20 am

Nice idea Shane.
Have often thought about doing a lap or two at the end of our Sunday rides with tired legs but never found the motivation to actually do it after battling up Hillsy's hill to the pub. Consequently fall apart in events over 50m.
...............Humm, wonder why Rolling Eyes

Long gone are those days of 5-6hrs no cafe stop then another hour or so behind a motorbike, but surely we can still do 3hrs steady + cafe stop then 25 min abit harder?
i.e. Usual Sunday ride + 2 laps of our beloved Beresford circuit?

Far easier with the many sticking together. So who's up for it (although a tad late in the year to start now, but hey if you want to give it a try for a month)?

PS. Racing becomes a peice of piss when fit (not sure about when old tho Exclamation ?????)

iggy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Shane P on Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:55 am

Top job Mr Jones, or should it now be Dr Jones? (PHD courtesy of Google? lol! )

If only I could be there, it sounds just the sort of training we need to be competitive next year. We have too much of a slow start to the year and aren't ready when everyone else is. Even some of the Mitre do something similar and they only make a handful of races.

Does anyone have lights so we can do some night training, only way I'm going to get out other than on the turbo or weekends??

Also, can we do some of this on Saturdays please, then on Sundays I'd feel less pressure to make up for it.

I'll be a 3rd cat next year and pretty keen to get back up to 2nd as the wedding and all that jazz will be out the way, this will help the cause.

Shane P

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Greeny on Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:37 am

A bit harsh lechef - these chaingangs are a nice bit of harder/speed work to go with the more relaxed training miles, it's not like were killing ourselves doing 100 miles at full gas!!

If shifts align you should give it a try one Tuesday evening, I ride past your house every time I go to one bounce

Greeny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lechef on Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:19 am

Fuck me i need to go back to school. I think i can just about break it down to may be one word "RACE" Very Happy Very Happy too many leaving all the hard riding on the training roads Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

lechef

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Greeny on Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:30 am

I wish I'd studied my algebra a bit harder! Happy to go with the flow but agree the straight through 'n' off doesn't allow for everyone's different fitness/form levels.

I couldn't be arsed to turn around again and chase you guys last night, so having done those two initial laps on my own I felt I'd done enough and rolled home.

Wondering if we need to meet a bit earlier next week to get the last remaining light - say 6.30pm???

Greeny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gozza on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:59 am

I agree - option 2 looks favorite

Gozza

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iggy on Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:14 pm

Another fair sess last night but we need to make some changes.

Problem Statement
How can we better incorporate developing riders needs by increasing their speed and strength whilst simultaneously increase speed, strength and Anaerobic Thresholds of stronger riders during the same type of training session?

Solution
Decrease the overall speed of the group and riding within the developing riders maximal abilities. Include maximal efforts for stronger riders without disrupting the group impetus.

For this we can deploy either technique but each has a slightly different effect on speed and strength endurance and the Anaerobic Threshold (AT) or the onset of blood lactate accumulation (OBLA).
I think my preference would be to use T2 more than T1.

3 riders min required.

Technique 1
Only for the stronger riders. Developing riders continue within group.
Rider 1 completes his turn on the front (say 20 sec), then maximal effort off the front for another 20 sec. This leaves Rider 2 on the front of the group continuing the pace.
Rider 1 completes effort and eases up whilst rider 2 also completes his turn on the front of group and eases up leaving Rider 3 on the front. Rider 2 tags onto the back of Rider 4 then Rider 1 tags onto the back of Rider 2. A new group line is formed.

Example
Sequence 1
R1, R2, R3, R4

Sequence 2
R1 <-- R2, R3, R4

Sequence 3
R1 -->, R2 --> )
R3, R4, )

Sequence 4
R3, R4, R2, R1

Expected Outcome
No recovery period before effort exceeds Rider 1's AT level from ~87% maximal HR increased to >93%
Longer recovery at low intensity after effort, easier to re-join group.
Good for increasing Anaerobic Threshold by training the body's transport system to increase the rate at how the blood clears the lactate from hydrogen ions transported from the muscle.
Good for strength endurance.
Bad for maximal speed.

Technique 2
Only for the stronger riders. Developing riders continue within group.
Rider 1 completes his turn on the front then drops ~100m off the back. Once Rider 2 completes his turn on the front and moves to the back, it signals a maximal effort for Rider 1 to catch and move onto the back of Rider 2.
A new group line is formed.

Example
Sequence 1
R1, R2, R3, R4

Sequence 2
R1 -->
R2, R3, R4

Sequence 3
R2 --> )
R3, R4, ) <--R1

Sequence 4
R3, R4, R2, R1

Expected Outcome
Small recovery period before effort exceeds Rider 1's AT level from ~82% maximal HR increased to >93%
Recovery period at higher intensity.
Good for maximal speed, explosive power and strength endurance and trains the AT system.

Where we've concentrated on lap times previously, they really don't matter right now. What's important is to uplift our training session so that it benefits all.

iggy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gozza on Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:58 am

MG and I should be there

Gozza

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iggy on Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:14 am

Yes I'll be there and weighted down looking like a bloomin Christmas Tree.

iggy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Shane P on Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:49 pm

Not me, arrived back from the US this morning to head straight into work for the rest of the day, also unlikely I'd be back in time.

Shane P

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Greeny on Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:35 pm

I'm out tonight - anybody else?

Greeny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iggy on Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:34 pm

Loved it. Hard to beleive that it could snow in 2 months time or less after a short sleeved sess.

Our lap times were;
12:05
11:38
11:28

Once remembering to save a little bit in the tank to jump back onto the wheel with after doing a bit on the front, we started to motor. Well done Greeny, nice work.

iggy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Greeny on Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:31 pm

Brilliant session last night - Jonesy was on fire and pushed me harder than most races I've done outside of Hove Park!! I learned a lot about my tolerance for exhaustion and how far I need to push to be more successful in races. Great stuff - shame the nights are closing in...

Greeny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iggy on Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:32 pm

Yep I'll be there. We might be able to squeeze 1 or 2 weeks more out after this before it gets too dark on the lane. Make the most of it.

Had the most surreal commute between Plumpton and HH this morning. Riding along Slugwash Lane at 8am, not a breath of wind, slight chill in the air, mist over the fields with the rising sun. Like a Star @ heaven One of those moments where there's nothing better than a simple bike ride. Like a Star @ heaven

iggy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Greeny on Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:46 pm

I'll be there - 6.45 at the school!

Greeny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mini gozza on Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:37 am

any one out this tusesday to meet for traning rides?

mini gozza

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Shane P on Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:12 am

Just heading home from London, wont make it so will head out with the wheelers.

Shane P

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mini gozza on Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:04 am

i heading to wivelsfield school tonight any one else comeing ????

mini gozza

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Greeny on Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:15 am

It was an excellent session, but bloomin' hard going up the drag on the back road, especially alongside a mountain goat like Jonesy! I can't tell you how glad I was to be stopped from turning by some passing traffic at the T-junction... those precious few seconds stopped me from puking I reckon!!!

Hope to see a few more out at the next Tuesday session...

Greeny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iggy on Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:53 am

Just as MG was getting some speed in his legs too from the previous week. Hope you get fixed soon Gozza but things take triple times longer compared to when we were younger.

Anyway, another good session with just Greeny last night. For safety reasons because of crystal clear skies and the blinding low sun for drivers, we rode the opposite way round to normal.
We experiment to see what it feels like and what difference to the lap times made between 40secs and 20 secs on the front (or working).

Lap 1 ; 40 secs, 12:03. Being the first lap with fresh legs didn't feel too terrible.

Lap 2 ; 20 secs, 12:07. Straight into lap 2, no rest. Lactic levels felt higher with little recovery time. Nearly 10 secs were consumed rotating positions, so by time you're tucked into the wheel there's only 10 secs left before changing again. Felt pretty hard by the end of the lap.
Short loop 4 min recovery through the houses.

Lap 3 ; 40 secs, 12:10 (- 15 secs waiting for traffic end of Beresford). So really looking at an 11:55 lap. This felt alot easier with more recovery time and wasn't so knackered at the end as lap 2.

So that was with just 2 riders. What would it mean with 3 or 6 as a group? Add another 3 - 5mph ave on the speed + higher lactate levels = longer recovery time needed.

The key though remains the same and that's moving to the front at exactly the same speed as when the front man left it. Buttery silky smooth.
Greeny has cracked it and has probably more skill in that already than some of the 1st and 2nd cats I've seen. Bravo Greeny.

iggy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gozza on Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:33 am

I'm still crocked I'm afraid - and I dont know what you did to mini gozza last week as he hasn't been on his bike since?

Gozza

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Greeny on Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:03 am

I'll be there at Wivelsfield School for 6.45...

Greeny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Shane P on Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:34 pm

Once again, I doubt I'll be back in time for this (probably going to be much the same story for a while) so will probably ride with the Wheelers as they start at 7.30, wilth lights to head out into the night. They run till November by which time they then Turbo at Warden Park School which is convieniently on my doorstep

Shane P

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iggy on Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:04 am

See new forum Thread; Thursday evening sprint.

Might regret starting this as I'll have to spend 4 days a week in London for a month as from next week. Mad but at least it kicks off something different for you guys to carry on with Smile

iggy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next