Surrey League Thursday Handicap series

Go down

Re: Surrey League Thursday Handicap series

Post  iggy on Fri May 24, 2013 10:30 pm

Gosh, with a quick glance at Pedal heaven, crashes and bangs thought something terrible had happened with not realising Pedal Heaven is an actual earthly club name!

Bad luck Greeny, more so that you're coming into some sort of form now. Nice to see Shane constantly getting up there in the dash for the line. Looks like you're going to have to go for a blinder 2 - 3 miles out Shane to get your win. Reckon you're not too far off that win now.

iggy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Greeny on Fri May 24, 2013 7:49 pm

Nice lad too - hope it all goes well for him

Greeny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Shane P on Fri May 24, 2013 7:37 pm

That was Jake Martin, who has just transferred to ride with Pedal Heaven. Flippin' handy on the bike and raced well at that circuit a couple of years back when I was a 2nd cat and put in the scratch group with him. I learnt a thing about suffering then but hung in there if I remember.

Shane P

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Greeny on Fri May 24, 2013 7:28 pm

Not much to say about my race.

Was put in the 2nd group of four(!) riders, we were swept up by a pretty large bunch (prob two groups I'd say) on the first lap and I was hanging on reasonably comfortably when I went over a big pothole, there was a loud bang and my bottle flew out of its cage. I thought I'd punctured, so slowed rapidly, but amazingly I hadn't. My group was gone, though, so in that split second I decided I couldn't do another three-and-a-half laps at racing speed with no drink and turned back to get my bottle, thus marooning myself for a three lap solo time trial in order to avoid yet another DNF.

In the cold hard light of day I realise I should have just carried on and waited for Shane's group to pick me up, but my mind never works that efficiently during a race so there you go...

Still, I did my good deed for the day, inviting a young elite rider who'd pedalled from Wimbledon to get there (!!) shelter in my car during a pre-race hailstorm. He then went on to win, so I can claim a small hand in the victory!

Greeny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Shane P on Fri May 24, 2013 7:09 pm

This weeks offering was 4 laps of the Newdigate circuit.

I was in the 4th or 5th group, the penultimate I think and to say we started off pedestrian was an understatement. We ambled along for quite a while before a few of us started to push on and the average speed picked up. Not surprisingly the group behind caught us and whilst the pace went up, as usual not everyone was contributing.

The groups ahead we caught in the 3rd lap or so and few digs off the front kept the pace high. Running into the last couple of miles, a few kept the bunch lined out to minimise attacks and try to keep it a bit safer although there was a crash behind me on a blind bend from a touch of wheels on the wrong side of the road. I was second wheel behind Stuart Nisbett from CW and was trying to look after Mark Smith to get him his 2nd cat, he only needed 2 points.

I had to a bit of time on the front to keep the pace high in the run up to the finishing hill but Ian, a Norwood rider, took over which helped me recover. By this time, Mark had slipped off my wheel after the crash unsettled things so was fighting back to get to me.

The sprint started where I was hoping it would although I messed up a bit and couldn't see my marker point (a sodding great oak tree on the inside of a bend!!) so followed Jake Martin when he went. We closed down a few early sprints on our run into the line and whilst I didn't have the legs to hold off some riders, I did manage 8th again. Another 2 points, seemingly all I am allowed to get these days. Better than none and that 15 for the year so far.

I'll let Greeny give his update but bad luck and bottles ruined his race.

I'm going to try and enter the Lewes Crits although I think I can only do 2 of them. maybe I'm too late though.

Shane P

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RichMitch on Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:56 am

He sounds like a lovely bloke...

RichMitch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Greeny on Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:01 pm

Turning people away from a midweek handicap... what is the world coming to!

Sounds like a good workout though Shane.

For interest, here's a report from that KW 2nd Cat who was in your group:

I set off in the 3rd group with about ~15. The ability mismatch was clear as some were shelled out within the first half lap.

The group wasn't overly organised which I had a bit of a hissy about several times as the first time check was 2:30 and we were soon down to 6 within half the race as we chased. 2 tried hiding, one from Charlotteville, and one from Norwood. Another rider left others far too long on the front until the guy on the front blew up and we lost speed, despite me effin and jeffin for him to go through and keep the speed up, which resulted in me going through to do the turn constantly. Was cornering well to the point I was dropping the rest through the corners which is a nice new trait to have in my locker, but not this new found aggression which will win me no mates. Time check with 2 laps to go was 1:10, and I knew we wouldn't catch them. Got arsed off with those hiding and attacked out of the last corner on the last lap and stayed away from them chasing me and set some very good wattage figures to make it a top training session.

Massive field tonight - hit the rider limit VERY quickly and MANY didn't get a ride and were turned away. Gotta get there early, which may put a lot of people off who try coming from the city and only can get there at the last minute. Found the seeding very odd, but it's not an easy job for the organisers to do.

Greeny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Surrey League Thursday Handicap series

Post  Shane P on Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:15 pm

Well, the first one of the year went off with a bang.

85 riders showed up and by the grace of god, the traffic was kind to me so I got to Kitsmead with and hour and half to go. They were turning riders away with 45 minutes before the start.

6 groups that seemed a little out of order, thereabouts 20 in each of the first 3, I was in the third. Oddly they put a few of the women in our group too who were well out of their depth being dropped after 500m. Why they didn't go in the first or second, I've no idea. We had mainly strong 3rd cats and a 2nd from Kingston Wheelers who was very strong.

After the first lap or so we started to shell riders out the back of our group as the pace was high, 24mph+. By half distance we had split our group and only 6 of us remained and pulled out a big gap quite easily. I was feeling ok especially as I'm pretty knackered through cumulative racing and training. A few of the group missed quite a few turns and almost got dropped by the remaining 3 of us but they held on.

With a lap to go the 2nd cat rider pulled a gap we couldn't close - very impressive strength and I was about 4th in our little grupetto in the sprint for the line. We shaved 2 minutes of the lead group but didn't catch, or even get in sight of those ahead to my amazement. They all stayed together so did well to keep a good pace and stay away. The groups behind rolled in about a minute after us but I think the pace took its toll on the field as I'm sure 85 riders didn't finish.

Roll on round 2, they are more local from now on, on the whole.

Shane P

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down