Lewes Crits

Go down

Re: Lewes Crits

Post  iggy on Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:02 am

Fabulous write up Shane, I've read it twice so Thank You.

I've written before about the physiological effects of warm-ups and at what level to take them to. If not done thorough, if you're over 40 and the hammer goes down in the first 15 min, then goodbye bike race, you're out the back. Can't believe for one moment LeChef hasn't got enough speed or fitness to stay with that and would be quite ok even sitting at 40mph. But only once the right working temperature reached and processing lactate efficiently. Waste of a race really Sad

Nevertheless, another great showing for the BCT. Well done boys and thanks again both of you for writing. I love it cheers

iggy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lechef on Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:09 am

Shane I think you have been a little too kind to me it should have read "The fat bloke couldn't hack it again!!!!"  The crits are always difficult to read most of the field are testers who never seem to do any other road events so remain 3rd cats others are come back kings who may well be returning from a year of non racing may have even been 1st cats or at the very least good 2nds. All i can say is "Long live the crits"Very Happy

lechef

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Shane P on Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:25 pm

So to pick up the report baton:

With a pathetic little cold and too much DIY and other commitments to do since last week I hadn't even looked at my bike let alone keep the legs moving. Still I'm not on track for 2nd cat so was just going to enjoy it for what would be a high speed run out.

It didn't disappoint to be fair and as Mark said the first two laps did tick off quite quickly. At the first prime, I wasn't going to contest but moved up quite quickly to the front so thought 'Why not?' to build on my 1 point from last week!! I was quickly in third position for the line and eased a little not expecting any further contest although a rider did come back at me and it was close whether he or I got third - silly really, could have put another few pedal strokes in to clinch it although for 2 points, not exactly worth it. Might have been that gallop that put Mark in the showers early, oops soz!

Next lap prime, things were a bit quiet so I though I'd go hard early and got a good gap but soon had the usual suspects of Pelham, Morris and Lowden (I think) on my wheel and they came past me to which I had no response so missed out. I was thinking a break might go after these primes so was ready for that but they never did so we let the bunch catch us soon after.

Third prime wasn't worth worrying about so left it well alone and saved everything for the sprint that was bound to ensue. Other than the primes, much of the race was a simple affair with nothing really being tried with any intensity.

With a lap to go or so, 3 clipped off the front and weren't chased as thought to be not dangerous (in fact signalled not to chase it by Lewes) and they managed to get a good gap that was looking more and more like it would stick. I wished I wasn't further back as I might well have gone with it. I began planning with the Wheelers to get some sort of sprint organised but not to catch the break as a Wheeler was in it. In the run into the roundabout I was too far back so pushed up the bunch after it. Having spent ages planning my sprint start point, I found myself on the outside of the bunch all the way along to the straight with little shelter. just about found some behind Dougie Fox then at my sprint marker went for it, except it wasn't the right marker so had gone far to early - bugger. I took a few breaths to recover as best I could just as the bunch wound it up for real so I did my best to hang in for the line. I guess I must have been 12th to 15th I guess which I a bit disappointing as could have been so much better. Oh well, mistakes are made.

Good evening all in though, was good to race local roads with our champion of the previous night, even if the pace for him with the big guns is too much!lol!lol!lol!lol!

Shane P

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lechef on Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:53 pm

I will leave the full report on the last Lewes crit to Shane as he actually stayed in there and contested the bunch finish. Myself on the other hand!!!! Well very poor no excuses it was just too fast got spat out second time up the lane. Sad

lechef

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lechef on Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:46 am

Jonesy  you need to lay off the cakes mate if Shane thought you were me:D  It's a real shame what could be great local racing is ruined by idiots who don't know how to ride a bike and how to race properly.
 Unfortunatly i wasn't called into work i just couldn't be arsed:cry: Poor show i know hopefully will give it a go next week

lechef

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Shane P on Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:48 pm

Sorry matey, could have sworn it was LeChef...ooops. just shows how hard I was putting on the gas! Well actually I found the headwind just after then and also the closing bunch so half waited then they weren't closing so pushed on for a bit then realised it would get away too long as i was sure Lewes weren't in that move (maybe, maybe not...I was seeing things at this stage!) and so came back into the bunch but was involved in the chase.

The only place to be is at the front and i thought a move would go and stick, especially through the primes so wanted to be in contention. When you saw me, I kinda got stuffed at that point although partly my fault for not realising the prime laps. i had to nail it up the bunch on the run into the r/b to ensure i was well placed for the final stretch. i was way too far back beforehand and still had to sprint a bit further up even then to get about 10th wheel.

Not sure who that would be but might have an idea. if so he was going well but Lewes definately let him do his turns on the front with no help.

Oddly I really wanted the race to be faster, especially downwind. we were really licking along but those who would never hold a break coming to the fore, it needed to be lined out to keep them at bay.

I wasn't the only person unimpressed by some of the riding going on, an eastbourne rovers guy (who I thought was the one that went down) threaded his way through to the front of the bunch for a prime so finely, I though a crash was inevitable, somehow he managed it but did voice my annoyance. what is wrong with these people?

Shane P

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Greeny on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:27 pm

Inside story on the grapevine..................
One of Lewes's good riders left the club last year to join ASL for road racing but retain 2nd claim membership with Lewes for TT's. It appears his old team mates hold some sort of vendetta against him.  
This guy has been racing in the Lewes crits this year but unable to win any prime awards because Lewes have tried so hard to stop him winning anything. Even to the point where they blow themselves up then go off the back after the prime, considering it job done mission accomplished.

Wow.  Just wow.  Shocked

Greeny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iggy on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:15 pm

That was me Shane (Ian) who came out to support expecting to watch our 2 riders. If you weren't wearing your glasses then easy to mistake id Shocked.  Guess Mark had been called into work, sadly? Yes, had to head straight off after the finish to get back because of the light.

Thought you rode an intelligent race, always nicely positioned at all the points I saw you. Guess you closed the gap to get on the wheel of the rider leading onto the Broyle after I yelled at ya. That looked as if it was a race winning break but reading your write up it was chased down. Might have succeeded if you had a team mate controlling the bunch.

At the finish, my eyes were distracted from the lead up to the line watching a heavy crash by a Lewes rider. He came down that appeared to be somewhere near the back 3/4 end of the bunch and came down with an almighty thump. He then crawled on hands and knees to the verge then laid flat out and stayed that way for some minutes whilst the paramedics gave treatment. By time I rode past some 5 mins later he was at least sitting up but looking very ripped and battered.      
Good ole Gurning Reed, some things don't change and I've got history on the very same course with the boy and I'm probably the reason why he left our club after pointing out the errors of his ways lol.  
Roughly, I counted you in somewhere between 8 - 10 at the end. A bloody good effort all round nevertheless so well done you.

Inside story on the grapevine..................
One of Lewes's good riders left the club last year to join ASL for road racing but retain 2nd claim membership with Lewes for TT's. It appears his old team mates hold some sort of vendetta against him.  
This guy has been racing in the Lewes crits this year but unable to win any prime awards because Lewes have tried so hard to stop him winning anything. Even to the point where they blow themselves up then go off the back after the prime, considering it job done mission accomplished.

I'll be in London late next Thursday so won't get to see the final round. Good luck for that one if you're riding and stay safe - off the front.

iggy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Greeny on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:02 pm

You can see the results of your evasive action on the pic someone's put up on Facebook Shane.  Pity about the break, too.

Onwards and upwards...

Greeny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Shane P on Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:20 pm

Also forgot to say thank you mark for turning out to watch and support. I looked for you at the end but guess you must have headed off.

I was in a foul mood after Shaun though it was 'just bike racing' that he close on cause another crash when I mentioned to him that he needed to keep his line in a sprint. I hope he enjoys his 3 week season now that Goodwood has stopped. If we were paid to do this and didn't have normal lives to support then perhaps we could all be a bit bolder.

Shane P

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Shane P on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:20 am

Result for the 13th June...should be about 8th but wasn't listed on results when I checked. Awaiting video confirmation.

It would have been 6th or better but Shaun Read is a liability and dangerous. After a crash seconds earlier in the run into the sprint, you would have thought he would keep his line, especially given he had a whole carriageway to piss around on but no he closed across into me pushing me into a South Downs rider so I backed off. Wasn't going the same way as the Eastbourne rider had just gone at 35mph. 

Otherwise was ok, shame our break of 5 (4 of which were in last weeks break) didn't stick, rob was having an off day so he said but probably didn't want to drag our sorry arses around again.

Other attempts were never going to stay given the block headwind on the Broyle so the bunch gallop ensued. Next time I'll kick harder and not be shy with the elbows.

Shane P

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Shane P on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:57 pm

I heard that it was flat out, certainly in the break anyway. Rob and Jamie are allegedly 51 minute 25 testers so no wonder they dragged the break round much of the race.

I'd have loved to join you Mark but was in Tuscany, although not riding whilst out there unfortunately. I will however be going back there with the bike in time to come - truely fantastic place.

All going well though, I will come along to the last 2 rounds though. I spoke to Chris and he's fairly sure I'll get a ride even having not pre-entered. I suffered like a dog last night in training at the end of a couple of weeks with reduced riding. Hopefully that has kicked started the legs again to get a few more points once again although maybe not quite to Rob's level I'm confident of saying.

See you at the HQ at 6.15 Mark (and others???), in full summer race trim and clobber!

Shane P

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lechef on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:18 pm

You asked for it!!!!!!!!!!

Well the first Lewes crit 2013!!!!! I think the first time i have been the only Bayeux rider which did make me feel just a little sad,
I arrived at the hall in plenty of time, on a near perfect evening, then waited for well over half an hour for the hall to open it seems the 200 odd members of Lewes are more than happy to let poor old Chris Hough do everything, put the signs out, open the hall, do the signing on, marshal the primes and the finish then clear up at the end.
Anyway sat in the hall waiting for the safety brief and sat next to the comeback boy Steve Willis, Eastbourne rovers. Both of us sat on the stage in the village hall wearing full team kit with shaved legs.
I said nothing just looking out at all the other riders stood around without prompting Steve turned to and said “Would never have happened in our day” Referring to many of the waiting riders some with non matching shorts some with no team kit even though they ride for a local team many with very hairy legs!!!!! For many it looked like someone had walked in to a local pub and said hey guys there is a bike race down the road here is a box of kit don’t worry if it doesn’t match just stick it on and give it ago.
Anyway finally got things going after an extra long brief from the worlds most officious chief comm.
First lap around 5 or 6 riders get dropped coming off the R/A at Kennel corner.
Second lap i get to the top of the lane just after the prime line comfortably in the bunch and think i really can’t be bothered, stop turn round and ride back down to the corner, Waited for the race to come round again by which time a break of 6 are away. Then the bunch arrive to the tight left hander by the Roebuck and yes you have guessed it rider on the front hammering into the corner has a team mate away in the break ”Thick as Fuck”
Well done to Rob Pelham for a great win however why was he wearing a BMX spam head helmet “GOD HELP US WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO CYCLING??????” Very Happy

lechef

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iggy on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:33 am

We want all the disaster details, we want to know about going off the back in detail. Shit happens but we get on with it. Come on, write the story so we can study about it

iggy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lechef on Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:41 am

I think best i just say not my best night and leave it at that Crying or Very sad

lechef

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iggy on Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:38 am

Come on Lechef, get those keys tapping and write a good para to tell us what happened. The suspense heightens................. Basketball

iggy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Lewes Crits

Post  Gozza on Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:49 pm

What happened last night then Question

Gozza

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content