Re: SL Wivelsfield Handicap

Post  lechef on Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:26 pm

i was thinking of you if that helps:D 

lechef

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gozza on Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:50 am

I had no idea either - I wish you had mentioned it on Tuesday!!

Gozza

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Greeny on Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:23 pm

Cheers Jonesy - I've still got bucketloads to learn but even I can spot a cranky through 'n' off effort.  In fact if I hadn't been gasping for breath I'd have said something to the worst protagonists!!!

Here's how a KW in my group saw it:

The 3V group was quite amusing, 3 or so ok laps of thru n off, a lap of mad attacking each other, cessation of hostilities as no one dropped, back to work but then caught within the next couple of minutes. Pretty nutty given the time gaps we were getting were not dropping until we got caught.

Says it all really...

Greeny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iggy on Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:14 pm

Driving past the Plough at 6:50 last night on my way to a patient, I saw a number of riders including the Mitre and thought shit, there must be some event on. I literally had no idea a race was scheduled there otherwise I'd have been there without doubt. Sad Sorry about that. Embarassed 

Bloody frustrating when strong riders bomb through disrupting the flow and the result showed it has a negative effect overall. Ha, to think you used to be like that once, but not anymore and now here you are recognising the effects it causes - so well done you. The Bayeux has bred a proper cyclist at last and all your hard work is coming to fruition Smile

Consider it as a different type of victory nonetheless, because now you are so well equiped and had you better legs on the day, would have been a real contender for the finish cheers 

So the tricky bit is, how are you going to deal with the bomb-thro numpties next time?

iggy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

SL Wivelsfield Handicap

Post  Greeny on Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:02 pm

Our local race on our training roads - what could possibly go wrong? Knackered legs after a chaingang and a hard Vets race on successive nights, as it turned out.

Talking of turnouts it was a bit of a shame that only Shane and myself were there for a race in the Bayeux heartland. I expected us to be outnumbered by the likes of Crawley Wheelers and the Mitre, but we were even outgunned by bloomin' Kingston Wheelers and only my ever-faithful wife and son were there as supporters! Embarassed 

There was a decent-sized field as it goes, with enough 4th Cats to be sent off by themselves. The next I saw of them was five of 'em contesting the finish, having stayed away to the end. I got lumped in the second group of 3Vs and a junior, which was all over the place with some of the worst through 'n' off I've ever encountered (notably the stronger guys persistently nailing it once they'd swung in leaving the next guy struggling to come through). We actually lost ground to the 4ths - who'd been given a pretty generous lead anyway, given that they hardly looked like raw beginners - and were soon mopped up by the rest of the bunch, after which I hung on the back for a couple of laps but was finally dropped for the last time on Beresford Lane, my legs simply crying enough.

I rolled around for another lap and a half with two other dropped guys then was called in by the Comm so was able to watch the finish. Missed Shane going past but he thinks he was top five in the bunch kick, so about 9th or 10th overall given the stayaway 4ths. He can fill you in on his race.

The four of us had a nice drink and a catch-up at the Plough afterwards...

Greeny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down