Bayeux Cycling Team
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brighton Skate 25/06

4 posters

Go down

Brighton Skate 25/06 Empty Re: Brighton Skate 25/06

Post  iggy Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:49 am

You're a bright spark coz you're bang on Shane - it's all for x-country skiing Very Happy

iggy

Back to top Go down

Post  Shane P Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:29 am

Mid life crisis indeed, whilst it sounds like a laugh once in a while it is something I would never join you in doing for two reasons. 1 - my skating skills are non-existant & 2 - it requires a bit of showmanship and happy for pointing and staring at by others... and I'm not too good at that either!

Neon pink shorts in BCT design for one then?!!

I guess this is practise for the cross country skiing hols?

Shane P

Back to top Go down

Post  Gozza Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:22 pm

speechless ShockedShockedShocked

Gozza

Back to top Go down

Post  Greeny Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:02 pm

Wonder if I should lock this thread for comments before LeChef reads it... we've lost enough members lately... WinkWinkWink

Greeny

Back to top Go down

Brighton Skate 25/06 Empty Brighton Skate 25/06

Post  iggy Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:20 pm

Although not strictly a race result it can still be classified as some sort of achievement, well for me anyhow and worth a one-off mention in here.

So what is Brighton skate?
It's a small group of a dozen or so 'dudes' that includes a couple of pink and leery birds who meet at the West Pier in Brighton at 8pm on a Tues evening. Their age range between 30-50 so not a bunch of kids - although that point could be debatable. Bike lead, with a box trailer hooked up holding a large speaker and strung with lights. 3 others in the group also have a back-pack, antennae and speakers feeding off the main box from the bike. Altogether they're out there to make one hell of a din and showboat whilst having a good time. Not complete numpties I'm pleased to say as there were safety conscious rules and regulations laid down right at the outset of which all respected and adhered to.         

With the din rocking we're off heading East on the cycle path towards the main pier. No problem with people getting in the way what with that racket going on splurting out heavy base. We're in a line and not hanging about either. Shame I didn't take the garmin out to record speeds lol. Past the main pier and on towards the Marina we went whilst I'm on my skill limit just to keep up. At the Marina we're presented with a steep ramp that we were to go down but the leader kindly pointed out an alternative route round which me and some other guy promptly took. Through the Marina, past Asda and keep going on the path under the cliff until a flight of steps up to Roedean and the road. A 10 min break was taken here which was a bit naf hanging around.
Now heading back towards Brighton on the path next to the road. The hill isn't that bad at all and can just let it go without it becoming unwieldy fast. At a set of traffic lights we turn right into Kemptown, now we're on road from this point on blasting round the streets. It's a hoot I must say.
Back down onto the seafront to the main pier, where we then turned right to head along past the Old Stean. The road surface is bumpy and broken in places so keeping legs loose and knees bent it wasn't too much of a problem. By this time it was about 9:30 so the light was fading fast. In a way though it made it even better as other skaters had lots of little flashy lights attached to them and some even had rather cool light strips attached to their skates. All in all, it made it quite spectacular really.
A few traffic lights later, turned left and into the Lanes and the crowds and pub revellers loved it. The lead bike booming out heavy base, satellite skaters with antennae and speakers, lots of flashing lights. There was clapping and cheering, a real fun atmosphere going on. Had to pay attention though as in parts it was tricky to cope with, up and down curbs, changing surfaces, ramps and so on whilst keeping up in the group.
In and out of the streets then back down to the seafront where we turned right to head back on the cycle path to the West Pier to finish.

It was a hole lot of fun, thoroughly enjoyed it and felt a sense of achievement. Back in March before starting lessons, I couldn't even turn or stop properly but with lots of little practise sessions bit by bit these skills gradually came on until adequate enough to cope with an event like this. Nevertheless, there is still a whole lot more yet to learn and I can't even skate backwards yet.
Would I do it again? Oh yeah most definitely, but just once a month until it ends in Sept is enough though. Besides, wearing the Bayeux shorts is a perfect bit of advertising around the streets of Brighton.

lol!

iggy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum